For Immediate Release
NIGC Will Hold a Regulatory Review Consultation in Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Washington, DC May 11, 2011 — The National Indian Gaming Commission (NIGC/Commission) will hold a consultation on June 13, 2011 at the Hyatt Regency in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. This consultation is an opportunity for Tribal leaders to provide the Commission with substantive input during the regulatory review process.
The Commission organized its review into five regulation groups. Each will proceed separately through three phases: 1) an initial phase when a preliminary draft regulation may be prepared; 2) thereafter the Commission may decide to move forward with publication of a proposed rule, if any, with an approximately sixty-day comment period; and 3) a final phase during which the Commission may decide to promulgate a final rule. Where necessary, a regulation may proceed through the regulatory review process independently from the other regulations in a particular group.
Consistent with its commitment to transparency, the Commission will continue to consult with tribal governments throughout the regulatory review process. All information related to this review process can be found on our website at www.nigc.gov then click on the Tribal Consultation on the left side of the website.
The consultation scheduled for June 13, 2011 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin will cover Groups Three and Four regulations.
Group Three includes:
· Part 543 – Minimum Internal Controls Standards for Class II Gaming; and
· Part 547 – Minimum Technical Standards for Gaming Equipment Used with the Play of Class II Games.
Group Four includes:
· Part 556 – Background Investigations for Primary Management Officials and Key Employees (including “Pilot Program”);
· Part 558 – Gaming Licenses for Key Employees and Primary Management Officials;
· Part 571 – Monitoring and Investigations;
· Part 531 – Collateral Agreements;
· Part 537 – Background Investigations for Persons or Entities with a Financial Interest in, or Having Management Responsibility for a Management Contract; and
· Part 502 – Definitions.
The Commission invites all Tribal leaders and their designees to share their views with the Commission on Groups Three and Four regulations during the following scheduled consultation:
Date: Monday, June 13, 2011
Location: Hyatt Regency
333 West Kilbourne Avenue
For planning purposes and to accommodate all who want to attend the consultation, please RSVP to Rita Homa, Executive Secretary, at (202) 418-9807 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For those Tribal leaders or designees unable to attend this consultation, we invite you to submit written comments by e-mail to email@example.com, or by US Mail to the National Indian Gaming Commission, Attn: Regulatory Review, 1441 L Street, NW, Suite 9100, Washington, DC 20005.
The NIGC is an independent regulatory agency established within the Department of the Interior pursuant to the Indian Gaming Regulatory Act of 1988.